I put off thinking of the kids' costumes this October, til the very end. But I think we did a pretty good job., thanks to the Goodwill. This year, for the first time in years, we didn't go to a church Harvest party thingy. They are crowded, noisy and boring.....for me! We went trick or treating, which netted plenty of candy, but we had to walk a long way! Most houses on a block were dark, so we zigzagged our way along the road. When we got home, we gave out candy. Ours was only one of two houses on our half of the block with lights on! Now I remember why we didn't do trick or treating in the past! I think next year we will go back to a church. Here are the kids:
A pink kitty:
A pirate:
A ghost, like in Charlie Brown:
Gen. John McCain:
without the mask:
A purple superhero...she had designed a black and purple outfit on paper. When we went to the Goodwill, she found this purple dress, how could I not buy it?
Just the other day, I was talking to someone about the candy cigarettes we used to love as children. The gum cigarettes would have powder that came out the tip if you blew on the cigarette, like smoke. The person asked if they still sold them. I said, "Oh no, they couldn't sell those now. They stopped a long time ago." Well, they are still around! Only they are called, "Candy Sticks"!! And they taste terrible. I couldn't believe it. Of course, they are meant to be candy cigarettes. I should have looked to see who makes them.
2 comments:
So very cute and inventive. I like the soldier without the mask better- good face paint, and he looks like such a serious, all-American GI. (Or is that my politics showing? NEver mind!) The purple superheroine is also terrific - lots of pizazz.
Now I'm sorry to say but those candy cigarettes look like illegal substance hand rolls. You know what I'm talking about. They look like they could get your kid arrested. The candy cigarettes from our childhood were more cylindrical and even, and I remember they had red colored tips.
I grew up in North Carolina, where they let us smoke tobacco in high school, and the stuff grew wild in our back yards. I can imagine candy cigarettes still surviving in the land of tobacco. But I'm surprised you got them in California!!! They still make these? It can't be legal! Oh well...
Happy Halloween, and may your Christmas season be filled with love and joy.
Oooh, I loved those candy cigarettes! I can't believe I didn't grow up to be a smoker! I thought it looked cool. Sometimes there are still a few people I think classy when they smoke. I know, it's so sad and pathetic.
~Darlene
Post a Comment