Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My New Books

Every now and then, I buy a few books.  I always track them on the computer so I know exactly what day they are coming.  It is such a fun thing to open a box of new books.  The kids eagerly look to see if anything is interesting for them.  Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't.  Usually, we browse through all of them, picking one or two to read.  Then on the shelf  go the rest, until  I have time to read it or when it is needed, as in reference books.  But this box was different.  I just love all of these books, I want to read them all now!  Well, except the dictionary :)


My list:


1828 Webster's Dictionary  ~ Wow, that is a big book!  But that means the print is big!  It has old fashioned words like "sin" and "marriage".


Twice Freed by Patricia St. John ~ A story set in Ancient Rome.  A must read that can't be found in my county's library system.  I will read this aloud the the kids later.


 Financial Peace Revisited  and the guide that goes with it by Dave Ramsey ~ A great book to help people better handle their finances.  This is the one I decided to read first.  I really try to only read one book at a time, besides the read alouds with the kids.  Otherwise, I have too many unfinished books lying around!


 All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew ~ More of a reference book, but I'll definately read through it next.  My hope is to teach the kids, and learn myself, how to grow some of our own food.  We don't have a lot of room, but a little bit is a start.


Do Hard Things by Alex & Brett Harris ~ A book written by 19 year old homeschooled twins.  "A teenage rebellion against low expectations".  In other words, my kids need to work harder!! ;)


Whatever Happened To Penny Candy by Richard Maybury ~  A popular book on teaching kids about money.  And their mom.


Plus two videos:


Fireproof A great Christian movie about marriage. 


Flywheel  Another great Christian movie by the same people.  About honesty. 


And a game:


Bananagrams  A word game using tiles.  Looks fun!  It's really a school item, but don't tell the kids!  Yeah, they'll probably figure that out anyway!


I'm sorry I wasn't able to put the actual picture of the books on here. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.  At least I put up links! :)

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Sounds awesome! Tell me how you like Twice Freed. It's on my maybe list for ancients.

AsLivingStones said...

Sure. And you can even borrow it! :) Or you can borrow first and let me know how it is!