Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lost Dogs

A few months ago, we found two Bluetick Coonhounds roaming our neighborhood. The kids begged me to put them in our yard to keep them safe.  We walked them around the neighborhood. I posted their info on the County websites. Checked if they had a chip, they didn't.  No tags either. The next morning, I finally posted them on Craigslist and the owners called within the hour! 

Last Friday, we were out walking our dog and came up to three dogs walking together. They all had the same kind of collar on. The big one followed us on our walk. The little ones went their own way. The big one came home with us. Thinking that the box on the collar was a tracker, I let him stay in our yard until the owners found him. I took him to the vet, no chip. It isn't a tracker, either, it's a bark collar.  When he barks he gets zapped. Oh. 

A week later, he is still here.  I have posted on Craigslist several times, with pics.  No calls.  Why don't owners put tags on their pets?  It would be so much easier to get them home.  There are so many posts about lost and found pets.  Some pets are even stolen from their backyards!  Why don't the people who steal dogs, go find a stray one? The SPCA is full today.  I went to see if the owners made a poster. Nothing.  Where are the two little dogs that were with him? Why aren't they calling????  He is crying now, wants to come inside with our other dog.  He is a big dog and may get bigger. I'm not even sure of the breed, boxer/pit mix??  We do not want to take him to the pound, though he is so cute, he will probably get adopted.  But he wants his family. Sigh.

Then we went to Target.  As we were about to drive away, I looked in front of my car and sitting in a Target cart I see a box with two puppies poking their heads out! I said, "Look! There are puppies!"  My kids jumped out of the car and picked them up, counting five in all!  My daughter picked up the whole box and was about to bring them in the van, but I told her to put them back in the cart. We took the cart and puppies to the outside front of the store and I told the security guard who came out to see.  He thanked me as he reached for his radio.  I am hoping that some soft hearted Target workers will take each of the puppies home.  They were so cute and not crying at all, just kind of bewildered. :(  And hopefully, weaned. So sad.  People are so stupid.

Please put tags on your pets!

Here is our house guest:

No comments: