Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Homegrown Popcorn

My 8yos planted a few popcorn kernels back in the springtime to see if he could grow his own popcorn.  Yesterday, we ate our first ever homegrown popcorn!  The kids picked an ear each.  The kernels looked just like popcorn.  They popped them off with their fingers.  We tried to pop a couple of kernels to test them, but they weren't ready, so we let them dry out for a few days.  Last night we popped a couple of small handfuls, and it worked!  I'll try to post photos.  (The mushroom one was too big, so I deleted it.)


 


  


http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/ericsgirl2/homegrownpopcorn006.jpg 


 



 

2 comments:

keldaris said...

OOOh, popcorn sounds so yummy! I'm glad you're here now. I posted a long update just for you! We're going camping soon. Do you have any tips for me? I've never camped with 4 kids before? I don't even know if we'll fit in one tent and the 3 little ones can't have their own tent!

Rebeca said...

Hi! And welcome to Homeschoolblogger! I cam over here from Dar's site- I know her in real life, and it seems like you do too?

The popcorn sounds great- I love gardening and am wanting fun ways to involve the kids in it. My sister got me a very neat book called Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots that has all sorts of fun garden projects to do with kids.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and welcome! I will add you to my friends list too.

Rebeca